Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

My Skincare Routine - Jan. 2012

This is my first skincare routine post of the year. I usually change up my products when I finish them, with a select few that I love and swear by. I also try a lot of samples from different companies so as I experiment with those, I will do some reviews and tell ya'll if I will buy the actual size of the product.

Everyday:

So lets start with my facial cleanser. When I went to New York earlier this month, I did a The Face Shop haul. (I will do a review on once I begin using all the products) I bought their Green Tea Phyto Powder Foam Cleanser. I noticed that their American website packaging is different from their Korean packaging, which is the version I got. I was told this cleanser is good for oily/combination skin. Definitely correct and I love this!!! It is gentle enough not to dry my skin, yet it cleans well enough for my skin to feel oil free. I've also noticed that my pores have gotten smaller and my skin is softening. I adore the light and fresh scent. The texture is creamy and a little bit goes a long way. I use my Shiseido Cleansing Massage Brush with it daily and might be switching back to my Clarsonic Mia when my skin isn't as dry from winter.

After I cleanse, I use a toner to remove the leftover dirt and makeup. For this, I use Shiseido Hydro-Balancing Softener. This is something my mom told me to use and I have seen a significant difference in my skin texture since I began using it. On days I use heavy makeup, I use a cotton pad with this to bring off more residue. On days where I just use a base and some pressed powder, I just squirt some softener into my hands, rub them together, then gently pat into my face in an upward motion. This way more product is absorbed into my skin versus the cotton pad. This is a very lightweight toner and absorbs super fast. It has a floral scent but not noticeable at all. I use the balancing one because it removes excess oil but still retains moisture to hydrate.


During the day, I have been using the Shiseido Day Moisture Protection. This lotion contains SPF 15, which is just enough for me during the winter. I don't go out much during this season because I hate the cold! This lotion is a bit on the heavy side so for my oily acne-prone skin, I don't use it every day. It has a thick cream texture and takes a bit to massage into my face. Once absorbed, it initially feels oily but goes away when its fully absorbed. What I didn't like about this product is that mid-day, I found my face glowing with oil and having to blot or powder my face. I would definitely not use this in the summer.

So I switch off between that and my Miracle Skin Transformer. I use this when I want to have matte skin throughout the day. I love this little tube of wonderfulness! It is like my version of BB Cream. It works about the same: moisturizing, toning, has color and SPF. I have it in transparent and medium color. I use the medium shade on days where I don't want to wear any base makeup and it covers very well. It is sheer enough to feel lightweight and doesn't clog pores, yet it has enough color to even out my scar discoloration and bring my face to a healthy glowing complexion. The transparent color can be used as a primer and works just as well as any Urban Decay or Make Up For Ever primer.

For the night time, I've been using the Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel Cream. You can find this at any drugstore or Ulta. I originally got this as a sample, but it worked very nicely on my skin so I bought the full size version. I like that it has a gel texture which absorbs a lot faster than a cream. I use it to top of my brightening serum to hold the moisture in from both products better. I love that it smells like aloe, too! It doesn't leave too much oil on my face in the morning but still hydrates enough for my skin to have a dewy glow. It is not specifically stated that this product is a night-time moisturizer, I just like using it at night to restore my dull skin. It works nicely, however, I am not wowed by it so I will be changing up my night routine soon :P

Occasionally:

About once or twice a week, I like to give my face a treat! I will use an exfoliating scrub and a mask to restore it back to its prime. The scrub I have been using lately is the St. Ives Apricot Scrub Timeless Skin. It is a drugstore face wash and a good alternative for people who aren't looking for fancy microdermabrasion products. I wouldn't suggest using this scrub more than once a week because it is a bit harsh and the grains are not as fine as it should be. It does the job to clean off the dead skin cells that build up over the week, but I haven't seen the firming or anti-aging aspects yet.

After I scrub my face nice and smooth, I apply a mask for about 30 mins. I have been using for a few months now is My Beauty Diary sheet masks. I have tried several different ones including the Natto, Apple Polyphenol, Strawberry Yogurt, and Berries Extract. The Natto is my least favorite. I didn't see any difference after using this one. The Apple Polyphenol is very effective in oil control and tightening my pores. The Strawberry Yogurt and Berries Extact ones I use when my face starts to dry out and lean more towards combination skin. These 2 work excellent in restoring lost moisture. They all smell about the same to me, VERY fruity! I've noticed the masks don't fit to my face so I usually end up folding the top down a bit. It is also very wet when you first take it out of the packaging and drips a bit when you first apply it to your face so I lay down then apply. After 30 mins, I remove the sheet and pat in the excess serum into my face/neck and go to sleep! The next morning my face is rejuvenated!

Here are swatches of my routine:


I hope ya'll enjoyed my skincare routine! Sorry it was a bit long to read! Till next time :)

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely routine, where do you get those face masks from? I tried looking everywhere and sadly I can't seem to find any sheet masks :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy mine from Amazon actually :) They also sell it on sasa.com

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your routine! I recently became hooked on those My Beauty Diary sheet masks. I love the Strawberry Yogurt one. It smells good :) I was using the Miracle Skin Transformer but I went back to Bb cream for the winter. Have you tried their concealer? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really does smell good! :) I haven't tried the Miracle concealer but i will keep my eye open for it! I'm using Tarte 4 in 1 Eraser right now and it works wonders too

      Delete
    2. Where do you get the facial cleanser? the shiseido moisturizer is too heavy for me too. i don't have pimples, but started breaking out when i used to use their night cream. but i like their PURENESS Matifying Moisturizer Oil-free, it leaves my skin moist without feeling oily :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Evolve! I got the green tea cleanser at The Face Shop in Flushing, NY around the corner from the Sheraton we have nationals at :) I've used their pureness moisturizer too and it works very well for oily/combination skin, just a bit on the pricey side

      Delete
  3. Ah, I see. Will have to check it out next time I'm in Flushing, which will probably be a month or few months... Do you live in Flushing? We should meet up when I'm in town :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad day I don't live in Flushing. I'm actually in FL (Rho Chapter Alumni!) But I do visit NY often!

      Delete