Seaweed is one of the original super foods that was discovered thousands of years ago. Before, when seaweed was still not very common, seaweed gardens were only kept and served to the rich. Now, it is harvested in many Asian countries for various purposes. Seaweed draws its nutrients from the sea.
Raw or sun-dried seaweed contains:
- High protein content: from 20% in green algae to 70% in spirulina
- High mineral content: especially iodine, calcium, iron, magnesium
- More vitamin C than oranges
- Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties
- Large proportion of natural, organic iodine aiding in maintaining a healthy thyroid function
- One of the richest plant sources of calcium
- Polysaccharides: important in the prevention of degenerative diseases including cardiovascular and diabetes 2, increase the amount of feel-good chemicals in the brain, improves liver function, stabilizes blood sugar.
- High dietary fiber content: good for digestion
Seaweed contains more vitamins and minerals than most fruits and vegetables. Breaking seaweed into your diet will help improve memory, hearing, eyesight, and make your teeth stronger. It also helps keep up your immune system, prevent infections, lower blood pressure, maintain a healthy heart, and stabilize cholesterol levels. The beauty aspect of seaweed is it clears up your skin from the inside and helps hair growth and shine. It will bring out a natural inner beauty! Now if that doesn't catch your interest, it also tastes good!
I buy the small packets of roasted seaweed from the local Korean market. It comes in small plastic containers with square sheets. Its light enough to carry in your purse or lunchbox. I use it as a mid-afternoon snack instead of munching on chips or cookies. Hopefully you can try some too! Till next time :)