I started getting bored with my smoothies recently so I decided to take a break and try something else for breakfast, oatmeal! I buy the 1-minute Quaker Oats to save time. It's bland but I add a bit of cinnamon sugar and honey to kick up the taste. There's actually a lot of good health benefits to this simple bowl of mush.
Here's some quick facts about oatmeal:
1. Low calorie food: A cup is only 130 calories! It also stays in your stomach longer, making you feel full longer.
2. Lose weight through hunger control: You will have less hunger and cravings.The soluble fiber in oatmeal absorbs a considerable amount of water which significantly slows down your digestive process. This result is that you'll feel full longer, i.e. oatmeal can help you control your weight.
3. Lowers cholesterol and good for your heart: Contacts beta-glucan which reduces bad cholesterol and risk of heart disease. It also contains special antioxidants called avenanthramides that prevent free radicals from attacking good cholesterol. These ingredients also boost your immune system.
4. Provides high levels of fiber and protein: Oatmeal is so rich in fiber, eating it in the morning will also help stabilize your blood sugar throughout the day. This is good for people who have diabetes. Also for people who want to prevent mid-morning or afternoon energy crashes, have a small cup of cereal nearby.
5. It is gluten-free: If you are gluten intolerant, you can happily enjoy oatmeal, but oats could potentially contain gluten from nearby fields. Proceed with caution!
6. Helps acne: Use leftover, cooled down oatmeal and spread it over your acne. Let it sit for around 15 minutes and rinse off. This will help absorb oil and exfoliate dead skin cells. You can add honey or tea tree oil for added help.
7. Better skin in general: Besides acne, you can turn oatmeal into a scrub by mixing it with some baking soda and water. Spread and gently rub onto a moist face. (If you have sensitive or allergic skin types, try on a small patch of skin first) For a mask, mix 1/2 cup hot water with 1/3 cup oatmeal for two or three minutes, then add two tablespoons each plain yogurt and honey, plus one egg white. Spread thinly on the face, then relax for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Till next time :)